Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Report Writing

My homeroom began Report Writing this week in Writing! All of the students seemed so excited about sharing a topic that they like. We discussed how to pick a good topic, so it isn't too broad. There were some really great topics chosen and I cannot wait to hear about the topics after they become experts on them!

Please be sure to allow your child to check out books, search the Internet, or use other research materials such as encyclopedias to complete the research. I am asking that they bring these materials into school so the majority of the work can be done at school with me during Writer's Workshop. The students will be allowed to type their reports as it closer to the due date and rough drafts have been revised and edited. The time frame allotted for this unit will be until the second week of January. We will begin presentations on January 10th and go through the week until the 15th.

Along with the report, I have shared with the students that I would also like some other form of creative piece with the report. The students are allowed to pick what they would like to do for this portion of the grade. Some ideas are a poster, model, powerpoint, poem, commercial, or song. A rubric will be created with the class on the report and the creative piece so the students know the expectations.

I really look forward to learning more about what your child finds interesting!!

No comments: